Re: bench PS

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Tue Dec 21 1999 - 20:33:22 EST

Find an old Atari Orange Test fixture. They show up on eBay once in a while. It is really handy, you can use multiple power supplies, and the two VARIACs make for a wide range of supply voltages. I modified my unit so that I could get:<br>
+5VDC @ 15amps<br>
+12VDC @ 5 amps<br>
-5VDC @ 1 amp<br>
+/-15VDC @ 1 amp<br>
0-60VDC floating @ 2 amps<br>
2 X 0-40VAC CT @ 2 amps<br>
I have the two fat books on this unit that I could copy for any other owners for a suitable trade. These are FAT, about 2 inches thick with fold out pages...<br>
Or would Al like to borrow them and pdf 'em for Spies?<br>
This allows me to run every game (except older Nintendo stuff that needs 3 or 4 amps on the -5VDC, then I just hook up a floating switcher) and power up XY monitors. I got a bunch of the jumper plugs for the Atari and have cannibalized a couple of the duplicates to make special adapters (Galaxian/Pacman family for one)<br>
John :-#)#<br>
At 04:32 PM 12/21/1999 -0600, you wrote:<br>
on game boards?&nbsp; I'm not overly convinced that $300-$1,500 on a PS is<br>
absolutely necessary since the parts alone can't be more than $15 (that<br>
US money John ;)<br>
I mean, just looking at the linear power supply boards in my games<br>
doesn't reveal complicated parts or anything that looks like it would<br>
require a high tolerance.&nbsp; Or am I too cheap?<br>
tm</blockquote></html>