RE: What is a K17-59994A HPIB INTERFACE UNIT? What does it do?

From: <FBowen_at_checkfree.com>
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 10:22:56 EDT

Yes, thanks. So the HPIB allows communication with and between HP devices
of the same era? So I could drive and read info off my 5004A with a pc or
something like that?

Ranger Mike <mike_ranger@dofasco.ca> on 09/12/2000 09:48:43 AM

Please respond to TechToolsList@flippers.com

To: "'TechToolsList@flippers.com'" <TechToolsList@flippers.com>
cc:

Subject: RE: What is a K17-59994A HPIB INTERFACE UNIT? What does it do?

HPIB was the fore runner to GPIB. HP developed the protocol for
instrumentation communication, which became an IEEE standard and GPIB was
the generic version.

GPIB stands for general purpose interface bus. It is used typically to hook
more than one instrument/printer/PC together for control and data transfer.
My 4th year thesis dealt with Pc communication to an HP data aquisition box
over this bus/protocol configuration. I believe I used a general
intruments
GPIB card for the PC.

Does that help?
Mike

 To UNSUBSCRIBE from techtoolslist, send a message with "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the
 message body to: techtoolslist-request@flippers.com. Please direct other
 questions, comments, or problems to jrr@flippers.com.