Re: Pac repair using a chip comparitor

From: Clay Cowgill <clay_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 23:02:54 EST

I do find this a little silly. EPROMs will die if you plug them in
backwards. PCB's will die if you reverse power and ground. This really
shouldn't be any big news to anyone on this list... ;-) I do have an
immediate solution that requires no modifications to the design though--
Don't do that!

I've sold lots of those 284's and 285's since 1998 and have had *maybe* a
quarter of a percent of the total come back for repair (for *any* reason),
so I'm really not inclined to modify my PCB design or hand-add a diode to
every one. It's the 90:10 rule (or in this case the 99.75:0.25 rule :-).

Kev's not quite right on one point though either-- they can be fixed just
fine. I just have to do it... They're $7 each plus shipping if you smoke
one.

(I must confess that this really is perplexing to me. I mean, c'mon-- at my
"real job" if my engineering technician complained that some part dies when
plugged in backwards you can be pretty sure I'm not going to be blaming the
part!)

-Clay