Fluke on Universal Boards (Cosmic Alien etc.)

From: Peter Davies <invadar_at_mean-machine.org.uk>
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 18:23:07 EST

I wonder if anyone can throw any light on a strange problem
I'm having when I connect the Fluke 9010a up to a Universal Cosmic Alien board

:- I connected up a 'known to be good' cosmic alien board in order to learn
the rom locations, sig's, ram locations,etc. the board has a Z80 processor
and uses
for main mem 8 x 4116's Drams. The value of the XTAL is 10.816Mhz.
 When I switched on after connecting up i received an error message POD
TIMEOUT ATTEMPTING RESET. this error is usually a sign of bad or missing clock
although it can be other faults. After much faffing about and getting no-where
i decided to change the Xtal for an eight mhz one and although I cannot run
the game with this in it did allow me to me to get the information and by
doing the same to a non working board allowed me to troubleshoot and repair it.

What is going on?? is there anything I can do that would enable me to run
the UUT with the slower xtal as it make it difficult to know if it is
working properly
without keep changing th xtals back and forth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated on two counts one:- to improve my
knowledge base 2. I now have a Magical spot doing the same but changing
the atal this time does not work the boards are very similar BUT.......??

Regards Pete (invadar)

 To UNSUBSCRIBE from techtoolslist, send a message with "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the
 message body to: techtoolslist-request@flippers.com. Please direct other
 questions, comments, or problems to jrr@flippers.com.