Re: variac

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 03:25:41 EDT

A Variac is a single winding with a movable center tap. It offers NO
isolation whatsoever.

Use of an isolation transformer, even if you don't need one, would be an
excellent idea. You may want to use a couple of isolation transformers,
one for the monitor and one (or more) for other outputs.

Another great use for the Variac is to supply reduced voltages for such
thing as monitors from Nintendo games (100 volt Japanese standard).
Some power supplies (like the switcher in Taito's Space Tactics) also
use 100 volts.

5 amps is more than enough for most "classic" games. Some of the newer
stuff where the seat or entire game moves around probably would need
more.