Re: Greetings - Introduction -Questions

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 20:57:34 EST

<x-flowed>
Welcome Randy!

Yes, you can just swap the RS-232 card, it's easy.

As for 'scopes, well we have an old dual trace one at the shop, I doubt it
is faster than 40 megs and seems to do just fine if it is thumped
correctly. My tech never uses the thing. He uses a logic probe and the
Fluke for fixing most of his boards. The memory test, BUS test and ROM test
grab about 90% of the problems, and it is a bit of scouting to get the
remaining problems...

Radio Shack had a good book on service theory, or SAMS Photofacs(?)
publishes a few that are great for beginners. I've been beating games up
since the 70's and I'm self taught...no courses in game repair back then.

John :-3)#

At 08:34 PM 08/02/2002 -0500, Randy Bissett wrote:
>Greetings all;
>To compound matters, I picked up a second Fluke 9010A base unit off of ebay.
>And herein lies my first question. The Ebay one has a digit going out, it
>flickers, gets real dim, then comes back. The plus side is that it has a
>RS232 port on it, my original one does not. Can I easily swap the RS232 to
>my original unit? I havent taken the cover off to see if its just a card or
>if its hardwired in.
>
>Second question concerns Oscilliscopes. First of I know I need one, How do I
>know? I have been told I do :). I do know I can display the output of Vector
>games on one that has XY inputs on it. What other uses for it, I am very
>vague on, but am willing to learn. The problem I am running into is knowing
>which units have XY inputs and which ones dont. I have been mainly looking
>at Ebay auctions & while they list alot of features, only one scope have I
>found so far has actually listed XY inputs ( a TEK 465M). Is there some
>other name this feature goes by that I am unaware of?
>
>Kev has been very patient & helpful, but I dont want to wear out my welcome
>in his inbox :) So I bring my questions here & hope my lack of knowledge is
>not to embarrassing apparent. I have picked up a few books & my Fluke came
>with a 4 cd set instruction set that I have just begun. ANY help would be
>greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks for your time
>Randy
>
> To UNSUBSCRIBE from techtoolslist, send a message with "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the
> message body to: techtoolslist-request@flippers.com. Please direct other
> questions, comments, or problems to jrr@flippers.com.

</x-flowed>