Re: Replace the 9010A base with an IBM Parallel port?

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 22:13:19 EST

<x-flowed>

Ah, but the base is so sssllloooowwwwwwww. I figure running the pods from
the port will get a much faster operation, plus the programming could be
much easier. I'd like to download RAM test code to the UUT, but to do that
with the current configuration means figuring it out on the IBM, then
porting it to the base after writing a program, then run the base and see
what happens. Seems that cutting out a few intermediate steps would be
worth the development time.

Think, ROM signature/checksums in a few seconds, FAST RAM tests, ability to
leap buildings with a single...well not that.

I'm finding we are using the 9010 more and more in my shop, and anything
that increases the speed of tests and setup is well worth it to me.

Perhaps the question I should be asking folks is "How many here actually
are USING the 9010 in their day-to-day lives?" I mean if it is just a hobby
for everyone else then I'll work on it on my own for our shops benefit, but
if any others also do the same sort of thing (board repairs), then let's
work together to make this a more useful device.

John :-#)#

At 09:55 PM 25/02/2002 -0500, Kev wrote:
>Well it is an interesting idea but base (9005, 9010A, 9020 & 9100) units are
>not too difficult to buy yet (compared to certain pods).
>
>I don't think there would be much profit motive, unless someone was to
>reproduce the pods also.
>
>Anyone remember the RATBOX project.
>
>Don't get me wrong John (or anyone else), I'd love to see the project move
>forward, but I'd rather see progress on the Z8002 interface now which is non
>existant versus work on a "available" unit replacement.
>
>Does anyone have a DUMP of the PROM in the Z8002 interface for a CAT Box?
>
>Kev
>

> >Looking over the requirements and commands for the pod, I think it is
> >"possible" to use the parallel port to handle data transfer and
> >handshaking. There are only a few interface lines "MainStat" (MS),
> >"PodStat" (PS), "Reset" (R), "Sync" (S), and "Power Fail" (PF). And 8 data
> >lines...
> >
> >Now most of these lines are run through a 6520 (similar if not identical to
> >a 6821 PIA), thus the data lines and control lines MS, PS, PF and R all
> >come out of the PIA. Thus NONE of these are very fast at all! I strongly
> >suspect the ECC Parallel port can handle them, now there remains, Sync, and
> >I don't know how fast it runs, but it is for timing the Probe and Probe
> >Signature generator and is not used anywhere else. Perhaps we can ignore it
> >for now....it appears to run at 1/2 the pod Z80 write speed, but I'll have
> >to check that further.
> >
> >So, we need some bright person to handle the software, the hardware looks
> >like, well just a jumper cable with some power (+5, +12 and -5) and the -5
> >could be created with a simple 555 driving a small negative bridge
> >recitifer. Looks like minimal current, in fact as far as I can see (at
> >least for the Z80 pod) the -5 is only to bias the voltage sense circuit.
> >
> >Comments? Is ANYONE interested in this? I'mm not getting a lot of feedback
> >on these ideas I'm chucking out into the void...
> >
> >John :-#)#

</x-flowed>