Re: Replace the 9010A base with an IBM Parallel port?

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 13:30:00 EST

<x-flowed>

What I'm trying to do is to simplify the operation so my regular techs can
use the machine without quite a bit of training. Maybe I'm not too swift,
but it seems to take a long time to learn how to use the pods effectively,
I'm looking to make it a more script based, follow the flow-chart way of
fixing. I am writing test procedures as it is, but am frustrated by the
lack of information on how to insert assembler routines etc. We see quite a
variety of boards as it is, and getting the signatures for each is time
consuming the 1st time.

Fluke could have done a MUCH better job of explaining their programming
system...but the examples they give, plus the scripts one the archive site
have made it much easier to write fresh stuff. Currently I'm working on a
System 80 test script that will exercise the entire board and should give
results down to the individual failed IC. this is taking Lots of time....

Still looking for someone with a Z80-QT pod...

John :-#)#

At 08:38 PM 25/02/2002 -0600, Mark Shostak wrote:

> > >I don't think there would be much profit motive, unless someone was to
> > >reproduce the pods also.
>
> > Ah, but the base is so sssllloooowwwwwwww....
>
>Just for my own trivia, riddle me this:
>
>If it is so slow, and saved time would = $$, how much would it be worth, to
>you (John),
>to have the system ported to the PC?
>
>I use the 9000 system frequently. I don't find it particularly slow.
>In fact I find the slowest part is how long it takes me to translate the
>test results (not obtain them).
>It could be faster, but I tend to agree with Kevin; is it worth it...
>
>You can download test code to UUT ram today, quickly enough by using the
>tape drive.
>Plus you only have to "figure it out" on one platform.
>
>BTW, it does sound like a fun project, but I have to wonder if it is the
>best place to put what little time we have.
>
>-Mark

</x-flowed>