Re: Replace the 9010A base with an IBM Parallel port?

From: Mark Shostak <shostak_at_augustmail.com>
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 04:40:08 EST

> Having a probe to enable a Guided Fault test routine is a great plus. Of
> course, one could use a simple interface for a Serial Port as well, and
one
> could still use the probe's I/O features...
>
> An old (or not so old) notebook computer that is a complete test
> fixture/burner is quite intriguing...sell your bases now while they are
> still worth something ;-)

And, with some speech synth s/w, I can see it now:

"John, Please replace the AE35 AVG Controller, it appears to be
inoperative."

Followed some time later by:

"What are you doing John? John?
Why are you removing my G08 outputs?
Stop... John. Stop. ...Daisy, Daisy...".

Oy

---
Automated test would be nice. With the existing h/w (i.e. Fluke + pods +
tape or serial),
all that is required is script developement. For what we're discussing here,
there is h/w
development, s/w development AND script development.
Again, it sounds fun and it would be nice to have, but can the effort be
justified by the return?
The people who can do this type of thing, can alreay fix the boards fairly
fast as it is.
I don't see the ROI. So what's the motivation? All I see is "fun", but that
motivation dies quickly
when the real drudgery hits.
-Mark