Re: Replace the 9010A base with an IBM Parallel port?

From: Kev <KKlopp_at_erols.com>
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 08:31:55 EST

> I think that combining the pods with the modern computer would be a useful
> addition to the techs bench. There are still LOTs of these out in the real

Agreed, but I'm not the guy to build it either....

> world as well you know....many of them are fixing things other than old
> video games. I suspect that so many of them turn up for auction is the
> frustration with the time curve of using them effectively.

Hmm, I wonder about this. I found some fluke stuff in aviation repair shops
but I too wonder how many people really use these things. It seems that
most of the units are sitting on test equipment resellers shelves still
trying to be sold for a PREMIUM. Guess they are waiting on the modern
computer replacement too.

> It is just an intellectual toy, fun, but is it worth the time? I still
> think it is, but I can't write software effectively....but I'm going to
> keep poking at it in my spare time...one needs a hobby after all...
>
> Perhaps porting Fredric's code to the IBM is the best solution...not an
> enormous amount of time, and a few new cool tricks.

Agreed. If I could just get that Freq Counter function going (I haven't
heard from Fredric, has anyone lately?).

I'm still a excited about modifing the existing scripts (ex Asteroids ->
Battlezone) and writing a script for Donkey Kong essentially copying the
existing script formats.

Kev