Re: Copying ROMS ?

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Fri Jun 21 2002 - 15:43:42 EDT

<x-flowed>
I've not heard of copy protected ROMs, shouldn't be possible -as how would
the CPU then read them? At least in those days...

AS for the non-reading, perhaps there are unusual chip selects, it was
common then to wire the board with shared address lines, and the chip
selects built into the ROMs would choose which one was active when a
certain address combination was reached. This would be the high order
address lines that are not used by 2764's directly, for example you might
find that address 13 - 14 are tied to pins 22 and 24, with internal logic
on the ROMs that would allow three ROMs to be shared (you want them off for
one combination of A13-14).

John :-#)#

At 11:42 AM 21/06/2002 -0700, Mike Davis wrote:

>Someone else pointed that out. I have replied to the list with the
>ROM part numbers.
>
>But I have two identical machines. In one, I have these ROMs, in the
>other, I have 27C64s. Wouldn't that suggest that they are identical
>pinouts?
>
>Mike
>

> > I seriously doubt vintage ROMS are copy protected!
> >
> > What is the ROM (EPROM) type you are using and what are they marked
> > as?
> >
> > You might have a custom masked rom with inverted chip select or such.
> >
> > Kev
> >

> > > I have several vintage computers (Epson HX-20). A couple of these
> > > have been customized and have had the BASIC ROMS removed and some
> > > other ROMS installed.
> > >
> > > I'd like to go back to the original BASIC machines. I do have one
> > > original HX-20 that has the BASIC ROMs. But when I tried to copy
> > > the ROMS into my Data I/O Model 22, only FF shows up. I presume
> > > these ROMs are protected somehow.
> > >
> > > However, they function and must function in use, so the data should
> > > be recoverable.
> > >
> > > Anyone have any suggestions on how to make copies of these old BASIC
> > > ROMs?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Mike

</x-flowed>