Re: Fluke & Dynamic Ram test?

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 14:27:31 EST

<x-flowed>
There is a process for accessing/testing the Video ram on the Williams
boards, it involves toggling a bit. I have it in my notes (at the shop),
but as I recall I found it in the early notes on making the first
Multigame. Sean Riddles' page? I'll hunt around and see if I can find the
reference.

John :-#)#

At 01:32 PM 10/11/2002 -0500, Kev wrote:

>Well my biggest problem is the Williams video boards of the early 80s. If
>you put the 9100 in auto RAM test mode this will fail because (I'm guessing
>here) that it isn't properly writing & reading from the 2nd page of the RAM
>& higher.
>
>If you manual do 2 writes & 2 reads it works fine but the auto test cann't
>handle it.
>
>There is a big write up in the 9100 Application manual specifically on
>handling Dynamic RAMs but I figured I'd solict for a bit of insight first.
>
>Thanks,
>Kev
>

> >I don't see how testing dynamic would be any different than testing static,
> >both look the same to the CPU....if you want to test the individual ICs
> >then you need to pick up a BugTrap Dynamic Ram tester...or similar that
> >will check the old timers.
> >
> >You can replace dynamic with static if you are so inclined with just
> >getting the addressing and select sorted out. Static ram is much faster now
> >than it was back in the 70/80's and can easily do the job.
> >
> >Or do I not understand the problem you are proposing?
> >
> >John :-#)#
> >
> >At 09:08 AM 10/11/2002 -0500, Kev wrote:
> >

> >>Has anyone built any programs to do Dynamic Ram test for either the 9010
>or
> >>9100?
> >>
> >>I'm looking for something that would cover 4116 &/or 4164s.
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>Kev

</x-flowed>