9100 keyboard wedge (update 3)

From: David Shoemaker <davids_at_oz.net>
Date: Tue Jun 24 2003 - 01:40:48 EDT

Been a while but thought I would send an update.

I got the Atmel STK500 dev board, not bad, though would have liked some
prototype area on it.
I have tried the CodeVisionAVR C compiler and ImageCraft ICC C compiler.

ICC is slightly better but that isn't saying much. DAMN, are all embeded
tools this rough? I am a windows programer by occupation, used to nice
robust MS Visual Studio development IDE. ICC costs more than MSVS but isn't
even the quality level of MSVS 1.0.

And debuging by flashing led is a big step back in time for me from what I
am used to :)

I have sucessfully proof of concepted the wedge, I can now take PC keyboard
(AT102) input and output ASCII serial using an 8515 part.
As a note this has taken me about 20 hours so far. Building the keyboard
adapter (10 hours lost when I had a wire in the wrong spot but thought it
was a software bug). Finding / downloading / installing various C packages
in hopes that one didn't suck too bad.

Next steps:

Check on the status of the loaner 9100 keyboard that is on the way.
Determine the keys I want to emulate from the 9100 keyboard. Expect all but
perhaps not.
Build the AT102 -> 9100 keyboard map table up (what 9100 keys map to what
AT102 keys)
Build the scancode to 9100 table (useing Kev's table)
Figure out what the 9100 expects in response to a keyboard reset.

At that point I should have a workable solution using the 8515. This is a
40 pin part and way overkill. Then I will start on the cost reduction part.
Move to the 2313 (20 pin part with UART, still overkill). Then finaly try
to move to the 2323 (an 8 pin part) with a software UART.

As an asside, I will be trying to convince MSVS to build a project using the
AVRGCC compiler as an external build step.

I have a couple of other projects with hard stop deadlines of the 4th of
July so will be setting this stuff on the shelf temporarily.

Oh one last thing. For someone who has a working program station setup. If
you hook the monitor up but not the keyboard do you get anything on screen?
What about if you hit the EDIT button on the 9100? I am trying to see if my
monitor is going to work or not (Commodore 1084-D) and am getting nothing on
screen.

David