RE: Interesting observation, question

From: James S. Bright <james_at_quarterarcade.com>
Date: Sun Jul 13 2003 - 08:48:13 EDT

Comments below.

> I don't know if this is off-topic, and James might want me to
> him post direct (let me know)...
>
> Regarding the FIDE software, is it supposed to hook into the
> RKSIC software yet?

Yes, it's fully functional (or should be).

> When I run mine (Win2k) I only get the Receive from Serial
> Port toolbar button available, the Send and Set Port Settings
> buttons are greyed out. Perhaps this is for a later release?
> BTW, you spelt Receive wrongly :-)

The set port settings are disabled? That's a mistake. I'll see if I can
reproduce that problem. They should not be disabled. But if you can't
set the port settings, the send/receive won't work.

> Maybe my grey buttons are is linked to an installation
> problem on my box where the Program Menu shortcut doesn't
> work - I have to manually find the executable and run it
> directly. Perhaps I should re-install?

Hmm. Does sound like something went wrong with installation. You may
want to try re-installing it with the latest version and let me know if
you have the same problems. (Writing installation code sucks, btw.) My
concern would be that if your Program Menu shortcut isn't working (that
puzzles me because the setup takes care of that step), then I'm not sure
the compiler would work for you either. Were you able to compile
scripts?

> As for program enhancements, you simply *must* add syntax
> highlighting!!
>
> I use TextPad 4.6.2 at the moment, and have knocked up a
> syntax highlighting config file for Fluke source files. Using
> the FIDE editor seems like a step backwards (sorry). This
> version of TextPad has a useful facility for saving syntax
> highlighting in HTML, as shown here:
> www.phillipeaton.com/../flukesyntaxhighlight.htm.

Is the an OCX that you can use so that I can put it in the program?
Actually I was trying to find a control that would provide syntax
highlighting. I wasn't going to re-write the control myself. I'll take a
look at your link and poke around a little more. There is integrated
help though.

> So far, though, FIDE is looking great! A more comprehensive
> library of source examples would be good as learning by
> seeing would save me having to read the manual... Perhaps
> everyone who has 'packaged' PCB test routines could
> contribute them? I will when I've written some - I'm pretty
> new to using the Fluke so far.
>
> What do you think?

Good feedback. Thanks.

JB