Re: [techtoolslist] Understanding memory locations

From: Adam Courchesne <ajcrm125_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue Sep 16 2003 - 13:35:11 EDT

<x-flowed>
I appologize in advance for the mispellings... I'm typing this a mile a
minute.

>how did all of you learn this ?????
I have a BS in computer Systems Engineering and it's part of the standard
courseload to study digital electronics, which will explain logic gates,
registers, memory, addressing.. the whole nine yards.
A basic book in digital electronics is exactly what you need...

>I am having a hard time understanding how memory locations and how
>registers work,
Registers:
Think of a register as a piece of memory. In the simplest form, a register
has 2 inputs (data and clock) and one output (output data). When the clock
rises (goes from a logical '0' to a logical '1') whatever value exists on
the data input will be stored in the register and driven out of the outout
data pin. The value on the input data pin can now do whatever it wants (go
high, low, whatever) but the value on the output data pin will not change
until he next rising clock edge.

Memory Addressing:
Memory addresing works the same way regular addressing does. In other
words, when you want to send a letter to 7 Cypres Drive, Whosville AL, it
gets sent there. If the CPU wants to send a byte of data to a certain
location in memory, it needs to specify not just the data, but where to
stick the data.
Lets say a small piece of memory has 16 locations in it and each one of
these location can hold a byte(8 bits) worth of data, the address location
would be 0,1,2 ...... 9,A,B,C,D,E,F. And if the CPU wanted to write a byte
of data to location 8 in memory, it puts the data on the data bus, the
address (8) on the address bus and in the next clock cycle (typicaly) the
data is written to memory. Conversely, if the CPU wants to read a byte from
memory, it puts the address (8) on the address bus, drives a signal
accordingly to tell the memory this is a read operation, and in the same
clock cycle (typically) the memory puts the data it has in the location
number 8 on the data bus.

>is their a book or courses that anyone can suggest ,
My textbook from college was 'Contemporary Logic Design' by Randy Katz. I
love it, but that's my opinion.

>I took a digital course at the local collage ,they just touched on this
>part not enough to really understand and they did not go over memory
You're kidding... wow. Memory and registers are basic building blocks of
digital design.

Good luck.. digital electronics is a blast once you get the hang of it.
-Adam

>From: "hitech" <tony@htbsusa.com>
>To: <techtoolslist@www.flippers.com>
>Subject: [techtoolslist] Understanding memory locations
>Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:02:30 -0700
>
>I am having a hard time understanding how memory locations and how
>registers work,, is their a book or courses that anyone can suggest ,
>no one teaches this any more, I took a digital course at the local
>collage ,they just touched on this part not enough to really understand
>and they did not go over memory
>I want to be able to use my fluke 9010 to trouble shoot these arcade
>boards,, but when it gives loop info how to trace this back to a chip
>,, any help would be great ,
>how did all of you learn this ?????

Send and receive larger attachments with Hotmail Extra Storage.
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es

</x-flowed>