RE: Fluke pod cables (related to 6502 pod)

From: Bill Karkula <wkarkula_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 06:21:53 EST

Hello,

    I'm new to this group so I hope that this message gets through. I found
the same problem (pod fails/works with shield connected/unconnected) with a
pod cable on a z80 pod that I recently purchased from Art AS IS only the
internal short to the shield was on pin 2 (A12). Must be a degradation over
time in the insulation which was used inside the 40 pin DIP connector of the
pod cable. I fixed mine by bypassing pin 2 with a 40 pin socket adapter.
Hearing this, I now will expect that this can happen with all original pod
cables over time and will need to find (make) a suitable replacement. To
debug it I used a flat ribbon cable from an IDE cable and added a 40 pin IDC
connector. I put the ribbon cable back on the pod and am learning how to
use the 9010A - I don't think that the unshielded cable will hurt me in my
low-freq. application (repairing pacman boards). For other pods / higher
freq systems, I think the twisted pairs cabling will be needed and I won't
buy NOS Fluke replacement cables as a solution.

Best Regards,

Bill Karkula