RE: HP 10529A Logic comparator

From: Phillip Eaton <inbox_at_phillipeaton.com>
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 16:41:28 EST

The output of one IC usually feeds into another (or several others).

If the IC it is feeding has a shagged input, it might for example pull the
output to ground and will likely make both of them look shagged.

Think about how the logic comparator works - all it's doing is driving a second
IC with the same inputs as the IC under test, and comparing the results, and any
glitches of a certain size get 'stretched' a bit so you can see them.

However, (I think) that the output of the comparison IC isn't connected to the
rest of the PCB so there could be other stuff there that could cause problems,
e.g. lots of capacitance.

I'm not a 10529 guru, but I've had occasions where the tests fail, and I've
always managed to dream up a reason why.

Remember also that some 74 ICs have flip-flops in them, so they can get into the
wrong state if you don't start from power up.

Phil