RE: Paged memory sound boards...

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Wed Feb 23 2005 - 23:17:03 EST

<x-flowed>Well, flawless isn't so true after all. It worked flawlessly on the
test bed, but wouldn't work in the game...so I tried various
combinations of Supervisor IC's resetting the 6821 independently of
the 6809 - this also worked on the bench but not in the game.

Now I'm really ticked. The stupid sound board works fine with Police
Force ROMs (strapping fixed), but not with the 512 ones for Riverboat
Gambler.

Gave up and installed a sound board from a Midway basketball game
that used the same board - it works just fine with the same ROMs as
were in the defective sound board.

I am considering tracking this down further, but I have several spare
sound boards and lots of other projects that are more important - but
I do hate surrendering to a stupid PCB!

Maybe some day I'll take a good board and the flaky board and do a
9010 LEARN function and see if there are any differences when the
board is not booting...

John :-#(#

At 12:11 PM -0800 2/23/05, John Robertson wrote:
>Once I added the RESET jumper to the 68B21 the pod worked
>flawlessly. It's a 68B09E CPU by the way...
>
>however the board is not working in the game - but if I force a
>reset it does. Yet the game MPU IS sending the RESET signal, but I
>think the original powerup should have a proper RESET on the audio
>board. SO I shall experiment with a NOR or NAND gated Supervisor IC
>to see if that makes it work better. However, first I'll secure the
>boards to get the ground path solid...
>
>I must be missing something!
>
>John :-#)#
>
>At 11:54 AM -0800 2/23/05, Tony Gonzalez wrote:
>>Maybe the Z80 pod may also have some kind of similar
>>issue as well?
>>
>>Tony
>>
>>--- John Robertson <jrr@flippers.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It's starting to look like a design flaw. The
>>> 68B21's RESET line is
>>> simply tied to Vcc through a pull-up resistor. I've
>>> now jumpered that
>>> to the board RESET line and I get a clean start up
>>> almost every time
>>> (I have substituted a good 68B21 to no avail
>>> previously).
>>>
>>> Sooo, if this works in the game, another Tech Tip
>>> will appear on RGP I guess.
>>>
>>> John :-#)#

>>> and when I put the
>>> don't get the sounds even

>>> reg (7905) on Atari
>>> comparator on one of the
>>> but killed the sound.

>>> voltage on the pulse to sync

>>> that pinout cart :) and I'll
>>> similar.

>>> --
>>> John's Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC,
>>> Canada V5T 3C9
>>> Call (604)872-5757 or Fax 872-2010 (Pinballs, Jukes,
>>> VideoGames)