RE: Kool Tools: IC Comparator checks PROMs

From: Andy Welburn <warlords_at_punkass.com>
Date: Sat Feb 25 2006 - 12:01:15 EST

Sorry for the double post, and I'd also like to add that the HP uses DIP
switches that you flip for in/out pin configuration not jumpers as John
mentioned. I assume the bugtrap is doingthe same thing, lighting up on
outputs on a compare error...

Like everything else on your bench, and as Kev (moverman) says on his page
its not a 100% definitive tool, but is a good time-saver, and to be used
like all other tools on your bench, to help you find faults.

Just thinking about it, it does have two drawbacks, one is that it doesn't
do tri-state devices (so I guess that rules out some types of proms) does
the bugtrap? The second one is that it only does 14 or 16 pin IC's, which
can be annoying when you want to check 20pin buffers etc..

Anyhow, I'm rambling.

Andy Welburn
www.andysarcade.net