Asteroids 9010 script

From: Martin White <martin_at_guddler.co.uk>
Date: Sat May 27 2006 - 14:35:20 EDT

Hi All,

Iıve been looking at the Asteroids script thatıs on the TT FTP lately and am
a bit puzzled as to why part of it wonıt work!

Iım talking about the one that has tests for RAM, ROM, draws the cross on
the screen, triggers the sounds and checks the address decoding using the
probe.

Itıs this last test that I seem to have a problem with!

Iıve done it on a sick board and all the chip selects check out perfectly
except for the one for PROM2 (L3-7). This one always reads 0 on the probe.
Just to be sure Iıve tried the same on a working board but I get the same
thing.

Now thing is, Iıve gone over the schematics and checked the pin numbers and
memory addresses, together with checking over the script and I canıt really
see much of a reason why just this one would not read correctly when all the
others do.

Before I scratch my head much more, as this script has been out there for
over 4 years now has anyone else resolved this? I must be missing some very
obvious point I guess?

>From what I can make out the script just reads from the given address 64
times and with the probe set to sync to the address cycle counts the number
of times the chip select is pulsed (or goes low rather). It then takes the
result from the probe tip, ANDıs it with 7F and sees if the probe registered
all 64 hits. I think :o)

Anyone explain whatıs going on?

Ta,
Martin.