Re: Logic Analyzer

From: Tim Matthews <trmatthe_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Nov 12 2009 - 16:55:21 EST

2009/11/12 Matthew Rossiter <matt@rossiters.com>

> Has anyone ever had a chance to look at this little logic analyzer?
>
> http://www.saleae.com/logic/features/

Hi Matt,

I looked into it when I was buying a replacement for my Rohde & Schwarz
LAC64 last year. My main doubts about the Logic were the slow max sample
rate, that it uses USB polling so possible to miss events (only 4x 512byte
buffers on-board), and rather basic software. Looking at it again it appears
they've bumped the sample rate somewhat and perhaps the software has
improved.

I also considered the Sigma http://tools.asix.net/dbg_sigma.htm which is a
nice device. I was impressed by the sample depth as I had plans of snooping
CPU busses, dumping the data through a disassembler and getting to the
internals of some boards. In the end though I felt the software wasn't up to
scratch.

I finally ended up buying an Intronix http://www.pctestinstruments.com/ The
software is amazing, it has a great sample rate, reasonable depth, 34
channels so enough for a CPU, RAM and intermediate logic, and real-time
update. I really can't stress how good the software is. I have no hesitation
in suggesting the Intronix as a starting point for anybody considering an
LA.

cheers,
tim