Re: WTB 9010 fluorescent display

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Tue Jun 15 2010 - 12:32:38 EDT

Danny Pearson wrote:
> Hi John, yeah that was my first thought. Unfortunately it's not them
> (6118's), I swapped a couple around and the issue with the first 2 chars is
> still there. I even jumpered between a working char and a non working
> char, nothing. Jumpering from Char 1 to a free character works fine (I can
> see the 'F') so it's definitely the Fluorescent display that has the issue.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dan

If the display is dim you may be able to use a trick I found that works
on Gottlieb (pinball) displays - namely you overvolt the filaments a bit
to drive off impurities and the display may brighten up for a reasonable
period of time (or it may die, depends...).

With the Gottlieb displays the filaments are the first and last pins on
the glass tube and I drive them to 12V - so they glow dimly red - and
leave it there for just a couple of seconds.

For the 9010 you will need to find out the filament voltage then using a
variable supply run up the filaments until you see them glow, then try
powering up the display to see if there is an improvement. Naturally the
display module is unplugged from the 9010 during this process!

Note there is a risk of destroying the display so this is a last-resort
operation.

John :-#)#