Re: FLUKE 9100A SERIES QUESTION

From: Martin White <martin_at_guddler.co.uk>
Date: Tue Nov 30 2010 - 14:45:29 EST

To be honest, the route I took is probably out of date by now and it's probably worth researching again as better parts may now be available! You'll probably find a lot of this already in the tech tools mailing list archives.

Off the top of my head though...

I bought a SCSI to PCMCIA adapter that came in a 5.25" bay from a seller on eBay who was selling them for use with Synthesisers. He happened to have 1 left. It actually came in an external case but that was discarded.

Next I bought, again off eBay a PCMCIA to Compact Flash adapter and a couple of second hand compact flash cards - I must have been feeling really tight at the time!

Installing was a simple case of just plugging it all together.

Imaging the drive was the bit where it could have all gone horribly wrong but I had the common sense to not put the hard drive anywhere near a Windows PC. I remember putting the drive into my PC and booting it into linux or it may have been OS X seeing as I use a PC running OS X. I guess I must have had a scsi card kicking around somewhere that linux liked as it's not something that I would normally have installed.

To actually produce the image I just did a raw 'dd' at block level of the entire drive "dd if='/dev/sda' of=fname bs=4096" or something presumably. The hard drive was then safely put on the shelf where it's stayed ever since.

Restoring the image to the compact flash card will have been a reverse of the procedure. You obviously loose any unused CF card space though. Not a problem to me.

Now I have a couple of 60MB hard drives that can just be swapped about at will. Not that I do, but they COULD :o)

I don't remember any issues or gotchas and I seem to remember that it all just worked first time.

If I was doing it again then maybe I'd see if there was a SCSI to IDE solution or something. I used PCMCIA because it's what came up at the time.

Hope that's of some help.

Martin.