Re: FLUKE 9100A SCSI to CF Adapter - Success with Stratos CF AZTECMONSTER

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Sun Mar 03 2013 - 14:01:38 EST

John Robertson wrote:
>> techtools-steve wrote:
>>> I received a couple emails inquiring about the SCSI to CF adapter I
>>> used so here are the details. Everything you need is currently
>>> available at a reasonable price and the physical installation was
>>> rather painless.
>>>
>>> The adapter I used is the Stratos CF AZTECMONSTER and you can buy
>>> one direct from Japan http://www.artmix.com/CF_AztecMonster.html but
>>> I found it easier and with significantly cheaper shipping to pick
>>> one up on ebay. There were multiple listings for the board on ebay
>>> yesterday but it appears each had multiple bidders and closed above
>>> the starting price.
>>>
>>> My FLUKE 9100A has the V6 roms installed and was configured using
>>> Service Disk 1.4. I have successfully loaded the v4-1b software
>>> with the v6.1 update pending availability of new disks (hint-hint
>>> Andre)!
>>
>> You speak of V6 roms, whereas I thought the last version was the V5
>> for 40MB SCSI upgrade as I have those on Flippers. If you have
>> something labelled V6 I'd love a copy to see if that may have an
>> effect on my AztecMonster integration.
>>>
>>> http://arcadehacking.com/public/fluke/FLUKE9100A_CF_AZTECHMONSTER_01.jpg

>>> I hope this info helps someone else unbrick their Fluke 9100 after a
>>> fatal hard disk failure.
>> Well, not so far!
>>
>> I have been unable to get any of my 9100s including the 9100FT/68030
>> to recognize the Aztecmonster with a Transcribe 128MB CF card at all.
>> Keep getting errors when the unit tries to format the drive. The
>> cable and machine handle a regular SCSI drive just fine so I have to
>> wonder if you have anything unusual in your setup.
>>
>> I get this error with the AzetecMonster:
>>
>> "Error Setting 512/Sector Format" followed by "sensekey:05
>> additional:26"
>>
>> Using an ACARD ACE7720U with an IDE to CF adapter I get this error
>> message...
>>
>> "Can't seek to track 0" followed by "sensekey:05 additional:26"
>>
>> Any SCSI experts here who can interpret these messages?
>>
>> I've tried other CF cards, but all I had were 512MB and larger, the
>> 128 was the only 'small' card here.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> John :-#)#
>>
> Just tried some "SMART Modular Technologies" 64MB cards and still no
> joy. Has anyone else been successful with the AztecMonster and if so,
> which brand and size of cards did you use?
>
> Steve, I see that you used Kodak 128MB successfully, have you tried
> any other cards?
>
> The manufacturer of the AztecMonster has been of little use, in
> response to my question:
>
> I'm sorry, but I must be doing something wrong...the device is not
> working in my application which is to replace a regular SCSI hard
> drive in a piece of Fluke test gear - the 9100 series of
> microprocessor testers. Two of my Fluke 9100A units (both of which
> boot fine from the hard drive and can format regular SCSI drives) fail
> [...]
Further on this issue, I contacted Manabu again with more explanations
of how I tested it and he said to send the card back for a checkup -
here is a note from him this morning (he is sending it back Priority
Mail too!) :

Dear Sir

I tested your returned CF AztecMonster. It seems that EEPROM error
is occurred. I replaced the ROM. Please try it again.

So, it seems that the card EEPROM was defective, once it arrives I'll
test it again with various CFs that I have accumulated and let you folks
know the results.