Re: Eprom checksum

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Mon Apr 01 2013 - 01:56:30 EDT

On 03/31/2013 6:36 PM, David Shoemaker wrote:
> Working on a Midway grid. Board is reporting bad checksums on some roms.
> The roms have checksums written on them (factory labels with handwritten
> info).
>

> Put a rom into my EMP20 (which I have never used for this size rom before)
> and then had it calc the checksum. Doesn't match the notation on the label.
>

> Loaded a mame rom set into the software and got a different checksum from
> both my rom and the file.
>

> Doing a file compare against the rom loaded into the buffer and the rom in
> the socket shows dramatic differences.
>

> I tried this with one of the roms that the board is reporting as good and
> got the same kind of results.
>

> So now I don't know what to trust.
>

> I wanted to calc the checksums of the mame rom images but can't figure out
> what tool to use (running windows here).
>

> Any help appreciated.
>

> David

Hi David,

ROMSUM (DOS based) or ROMIdent (Windows based) are the answers to your
question...ROMSUM gives you a checksum of any file that is run through
it, ROMIdent compares the ROM image with it's data file to see what game
it belongs to. As I recall it also gives a checksum.

Download ROMSUM from:

http://www.flippers.com/exe/romsum.zip

Or ROMIdent from:

http://arcarc.xmission.com/Utils/Rom%20Ident/