Re: Xeltek SuperPro III VMware Player/Workstation Image

From: Brad Gass <bradg_at_digitalplains.net>
Date: Mon Apr 01 2013 - 10:53:55 EDT

I had my SP3 running on a Windows 2k laptop fine when it died, but moving it to my Windows XP desktop (with USERPORT - http://hem.passagen.se/tomasf/UserPort/) just didn't work. The SuperPro program would simply freeze on launch, eventually needing to be killed from task mananger.

I did try different parallel port settings (EPP vs ECP) with no change in behaviour. So, as a last-ditch effort I recycled a DOS VM I had built for another purpose and dropped the Xeltek software into it, and then it worked perfectly.

*shrug*

It worked well for me - I'm really not sure why it didn't work, but I've found that's kind of the way it goes with aging hardware like this - YMMV.

Others may also find that DOS VM image of use to talk to other parallel port attached hardware that is either picky when run in Windows, or flat-out won't run in Windows. The image is pretty generic, just delete the SP3 directory and put whatever you need in it. One nice feature of VMware player is the ability to mount the drive image in Windows for file transfer, which is really handy for quick access. However, the VM must be powered off to do this, hence the need for network connectivity for file access while the VM is booted.