Re: parts cost

From: Clay Cowgill <clay_at_supra.com>
Date: Fri May 02 1997 - 18:17:26 EDT

General-purpose sound board vs. the real thing...

>Sound boards
>------------
>Eliminator/Zektor $20
>Space Fury $25

Well you can put me down for one of each. :-) I really want to see/hear
these things in person.

>So you see, you can get every sound board for every Sega XY game for $85.
>I'll even sell them CHEAPER if your willing to take broken ones and fix them
>yourself!

That's indeed cool, but I've been under the impression that there's not a
whole lot of these things just sitting around. I'd love to be wrong on
that. :-)

I kinda self-appointed myself to do the multi-game switcher (I really do
hate swapping boards) since there's a nice clean software/hardware method
to do it. (At least as far as the game code and Speech ROMs are concerned)
I'm not religiously aligned with a replacement sound board other than the
fact that I've kinda guestimated there would be about ~50 people on the net
that would want a multi-game and I figured there were less than that many
sound boards readily available for cheap...

>So while you're solutions will be clever, slick and fancy, there is possibly a
>more feasible solution to having multiple Sega XY games (though it would be
>cool to bank the CPU EPROM/Special chips and speech board EPROMs so you don't
>have to swap those all the time.)

Well, this might make for a real short discussion-- how many "Sets" do you have?

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com
\/ Communications Division http://www.supra.com/