Re: Zektor snd bd component differences and missing snds

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Mon May 05 1997 - 10:13:25 EDT

On May 2, 5:45pm, Zonn wrote:
> Subject: Re: Zektor snd bd component differences and missing snds
> At 08:12 PM 5/2/97 -0400, you wrote:
> >Hi Folks,
> >
> > After comparing the schematics for both the Eliminator Sound board
> >(800-3174) and the Zektor Sound board (800-3249) I've found a few
> >components which have different values for each board, these are listed
> >below. The Eliminator snd bd has the reference designations silkscreened
> >on the board so locating the components is fairly easy.
> >
> >Ref Des ELIMINATOR ZEKTOR
> >R5 10K 4.7K
> >R9 33K 12K
> >R71 270K 100K
> >R79 2 MEG unused
> >R122 220K 390K
> >R132 220K 100K
> >C9 0.01uF 0.0047uF
> >C46 0.022uF 0.047uF
> >
> > Now about the missing sounds. The disassembly shows that all four
> >registers on the board (3C, 3D, 3E and 3F) are accessed. I haven't
> >looked real hard at the data being put in them but the very fact that
> >they're all accessed means that the AY-3-8912 should be present. This
> >MAY account for the few missing sounds. I don't have one of these to
> >try out. Mark, do you?
>
> David your the man! I've been desperatly asking around (amongnst my local
> friends) for an Eliminator schematic so I could do just what you did!
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Zonn
>
> BTW: I have a couple of Space Fury audio boards here, (there not mine). The
> one labeled "Space Fury" has the installed AY-3-8912, and the one labeled
> "Battle Star" does not. The owner claims the "Space Fury" board sounds
> better. Fuller sounds. Do you (or anyone) know if Space Fury accesses the
> AY-3-8912?

Space Fury doesn't need the AY-3-8912 for any of it's sounds, but I've never
seen a board actually LABELED "Space Fury", I've only seen "Battle Star". Of
course, there is a "Meatball" and "Eliminator" sound boards which are the same
that I've seen, but I don't think we should start searching for a Sega XY game
called "Meatball" just yet ;-)

Mark Jenison E-mail address: jenison@cig.mot.com
Cellular Infrastructure Group Motorola--Arlington Heights, IL