Re: another card idea

From: Clay Cowgill <clay_at_supra.com>
Date: Mon May 05 1997 - 15:44:45 EDT

>I think i've figured out a way to get everything to fit into a 6 slot cage.
>Using PLCC processors, I think you could fit everything that was on the CPU
>EPROM and Speech boards onto one card that would replace the CPU board.

Hmmmmm. That's a thought. I was thinking of combining the CPU and EPROM
cards. (Since the EPROMs basically condense to 1 27020 or 2 27010's...)

What could we do... The Z80 in a 40plcc is probably the easiest to find.
(Did they ever make a PLCC plain old z80?) The SEC goes away, the boot
EPROM goes away, the 2114's can be condensed to a single 6116. The clock
could go away (it's only used when the XY boards are missing). Most of the
decode could be done in a 16L8 or two. That leaves bus drivers, and the
input stuff? That should fit either the multigame eprom or the voice on
the same board, IMHO.

I'd prefer to keep the voice stuff on it's own card just because the
EPROM/CPU combo would be digital only which is a little easier to design
around...

>..oh, and it would be cool if we could have a serial interface and RAM, and
>a 50 pin connector to get to the adr and data bus and...

:-) The Z-80 SIO and RS232 stuff will take a little room, but maybe it'd be
smart to just make that a daughtercard (on the 50 pin bus connector :-) and
not burden all the designs with it.

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com