Re: Zektor snd bd component differences and missing snds

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Mon May 05 1997 - 14:39:00 EDT

At 09:13 AM 5/5/97 -0500, you wrote:
>On May 2, 5:45pm, Zonn wrote:
>> Subject: Re: Zektor snd bd component differences and missing snds
>> At 08:12 PM 5/2/97 -0400, you wrote:
>> >Hi Folks,
>> >
>> > After comparing the schematics for both the Eliminator Sound board
>> >(800-3174) and the Zektor Sound board (800-3249) I've found a few
>> >components which have different values for each board, these are listed
>> >below. The Eliminator snd bd has the reference designations silkscreened
>> >on the board so locating the components is fairly easy.
>> >
>> >Ref Des ELIMINATOR ZEKTOR
>> >R5 10K 4.7K
>> >R9 33K 12K
>> >R71 270K 100K
>> >R79 2 MEG unused
>> >R122 220K 390K
>> >R132 220K 100K
>> >C9 0.01uF 0.0047uF
>> >C46 0.022uF 0.047uF
>> >
>> > Now about the missing sounds. The disassembly shows that all four
>> >registers on the board (3C, 3D, 3E and 3F) are accessed. I haven't
>> >looked real hard at the data being put in them but the very fact that
>> >they're all accessed means that the AY-3-8912 should be present. This
>> >MAY account for the few missing sounds. I don't have one of these to
>> >try out. Mark, do you?
>>
>> David your the man! I've been desperatly asking around (amongnst my local
>> friends) for an Eliminator schematic so I could do just what you did!
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -Zonn
>>
>> BTW: I have a couple of Space Fury audio boards here, (there not mine). The
>> one labeled "Space Fury" has the installed AY-3-8912, and the one labeled
>> "Battle Star" does not. The owner claims the "Space Fury" board sounds
>> better. Fuller sounds. Do you (or anyone) know if Space Fury accesses the
>> AY-3-8912?
>
>Space Fury doesn't need the AY-3-8912 for any of it's sounds, but I've never
>seen a board actually LABELED "Space Fury", I've only seen "Battle Star". Of
>course, there is a "Meatball" and "Eliminator" sound boards which are the same
>that I've seen, but I don't think we should start searching for a Sega XY game
>called "Meatball" just yet ;-)

The "Space Fury" board came from a Space Fury cocktail. The nice thing
about it is that the area for the "AY-3-8912" contains a layout for the
"8912" and the "8910".

The only immediate differences I saw between the boards was that instead of
"Battle Star", the words "Space Fury" appeared. And the addition of the
8910 layout in parallel with the 8912.

So the question is: Why would Sega go through the trouble of re-laying out
the board to allow both the 8910 and the 8912 to be used, at the same time
changing the name to Space Fury (so it's not like they were doing it for a
different game destined to use the same sound card), and then not do
anything with the sound chip? The board came populated with the sound chip
and it's seems doubtful that some previous owner would have gone through the
trouble of digging up a sound chip just for the sake of having one stuck in
there (but who knows huh?).

So I'm wondering if anyone has looked at the *Cocktail* ROMs to see if maybe
some 8912 (or 8910) sounds are being used there, as opposed to the stand up
version?

The two who told me of the differences in sound are IMHO reliable sources.
But then again the differences may be in the components used in the analog
sections of the cards. These may have changed at the same time the name was
changed from Battle Star to Space Fury.

The Cocktail Space Fury belongs to Gaymond, and I'm sure I could get at the
sound board to take a closer look at it, the game sits in a state of
dis-array in Bill's garage.

(Yes Bill I will get some of those games working and out of your garage!)

-Zonn