Re: Short term plans (was RE: list charter)

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Tue May 06 1997 - 18:14:00 EDT

At 04:51 PM 5/6/97 -0400, you wrote:

>>>PS. Don't get me wrong; I'd love to see this project actually come to pass;
>>>think it's everyone's right to enjoy Sega XY game (I love 'em!). As soon as
>>>David Fish has the code re-written to play them without the special chips,
>>>no
>>>one will be limited by the ability to obtain rare hardware. I'd also like
>>>see a PC emulator written. In my opinion, a multigame is #3 behind these
>>>other
>>>two projects.
>
>To keep everybody happy I plan on releasing the 'SC-free' version
>of Zektor first. I estimate that it should be ready 2 weeks after I
>get my hands on the security chip which is on the way. The other
>programs will be released when Clay's protoboard is finished.
>(no pressure Clay!). The alpha version of Space Fury has been
>sent to a beta test facility, Clay again ;-) If people think that I
>should do otherwise, let me know.

I hate to be a poor sport, but if I had a copy of SC free Space Fury, then I
could dedicate one CPU to Space Fury and one to Tac/Scan and not have to
swap EPROMs/Security chips.

I for one would rather all the games be made available as they're cracked,
I'm not really that interested in a front end menu system. I'd prefer just
to plug the game in and *poof* Tac/Scan just like the Arcades.

I also don't mind owning more than one cabinet, in which case I'd rather not
go through a menu each time I turn on the game, but instead just have the
game match the cabinet.

This is *NOT* to say anything against a menu! It's just that I've gone
through a lot of effort to collect games with all the artwork intact, 99% of
my games have a dedicated cabinet (and reside at friends' houses throughout
the county! Hey I live in a condo!)

So when someone comes by and says "Cool Zektor! I remember that game!"
(Yeah right.), he can plug it in and not say "What's going on here? Is this
some type of test mode? What do I do?"

Ok so it wouldn't be that hard for him to figure out the menu, point is I'm
a purist -- but I don't think anyone is going to notice the missing security
chips, and I don't have all the cabinets for dedicated machines, so I'll
bend the rules a little (Personally I'd rather have a security chip in each
game! Ok, so I'm a little obsessive!), and I guess I'd rather not wait
until a fully functional, multi-game platform, playable on any monitor, is
developed.

Hopefully I speak for those of us who have working convert-a-cabinets, with
functioning GO-8 monitors, who would just like to play the games as they were.
And if not, it won't be the first time my opinions run counter to everyone
else in existence -- I'm used to it.

Just an opinion.

-Zonn