Re: list charter

From: Clay Cowgill <clay_at_supra.com>
Date: Tue May 06 1997 - 21:11:03 EDT

>Wire up enough switches and connectors on a control panel to switch between
>all the games. Have enough boards laying around to switch in the game I want
>to play.
[...]
>When the security chips are no longer a problem I might bank some things,
>but I'll just use a switch, some glue logic (or maybe a PIC ;-), even then
>I'll just open the coin box, flip a switch (or seven what do I care how many
>switches?), press reset and a walla a new game.

*Ewwwwww* Kludge alert! Kludge alert!

Just messing w/you Zonn... :-)

I always prefer a quick/easy to use multigame. I don't like to play a
single game to death, rather I like to play on game "X" for a while then
game "Y" then... You get the idea. :-)

It's a lot like the SW/ESB kits. ESB isn't the greatest game, BUT when you
can flip a switch and play it for an hour or something and then switch back
without a problem (or yanking stuff from inside) it's pretty cool. It's
the kind of thing I can leave with Tara's little siblings and not worry
about them destroying it-- and it seems to appeal to the more "consumer"
level collectors too.

I want to do nice, menu driven Sega multigame board for my personal use, so
if anyone else likes the idea I'll certainly share the method to do it.
(And since my tolerance of wire-wrapping "one of a kinds" has eroded to
nil, I'll probably make some sort of plug-in kit printed circuit board to
do it. ;-)

Like I said earlier, I've been having fun writing Vectrex games for a
while, but I want to have some new (better) hardware to play with. I'd
really like to get a system working where those of us that like to write
games on these old hardware platforms can do so, and be able to give
something to an average person and have them plug it in and play a new
game.

(The G-80 system kinda has me re-thinking the RetroVector platform I was
working on -- I could probably make a new CPU/Sound combo board with a
G-80 compatible bus interface and get a lot of mileage out of the existing
G-80 vector hardware... Especially once programming "ground rules" are
established for how to make sure a game runs on a Wells Gardner color
monitor without any glitches.)

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com