Re: Short term plans (was RE: list charter)

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Tue May 06 1997 - 21:08:00 EDT

At 05:10 PM 5/6/97 -0800, you wrote:
>>I for one would rather all the games be made available as they're cracked,
>>I'm not really that interested in a front end menu system. I'd prefer just
>>to plug the game in and *poof* Tac/Scan just like the Arcades.
>
>The only "gotcha" there is that I've noticed that the big card edge
>connectors on my "test" G-80 system are already showing signs of wear in
>the slots that I frequently plug/unplug cards into. (Not a show stopper,
>but something to consider-- they might not be the best "high volume"
>insertion/removal connectors...)
>
>>This is *NOT* to say anything against a menu! It's just that I've gone
>>through a lot of effort to collect games with all the artwork intact, 99% of
>>my games have a dedicated cabinet (and reside at friends' houses throughout
>>the county! Hey I live in a condo!)
>
>That's right-- you better not be talk'n bad `bout my menu system! ;-)

Not a chance Clay!

How's that song go? You don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit in the
wind, you don't pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger and you don't say
shit about anybody's software. Ok so it doesn't rhyme, that's why I write
code for a living and not songs...

>For what it's worth, the menu system should boot to whatever "game 0" is--
>for example Star Trek. Unless you press and hold P1 start and P2 start at
>the same time, you wouldn't see the menu. I thought about putting a little
>serial NOVRAM out in memory to store the "current" boot game, but that
>actually complicates things a bit. (Weak pulldowns will insure that image
>0 always starts at boot time, since it's actually the game's ROM from
>0x0000-0x7ff that's executing at powerup time... The menu code lives up in
>0xF000 and is only called by the NMI vector.)

Place the bank selection into the PIC processor used to re-map the keyboard.
If you use a PIC with built in EEPROM, it can remember the setting itself
and set the banking on power up.

-Zonn