programming old piles of junk

From: Al Kossow <aek>
Date: Tue May 06 1997 - 22:25:44 EDT

Oh, John, you're no fun!

I've been kicking around using the G80 stuff for new games for a LONG
time (my first two games 10 years ago were Tempest and TAC/SCAN).

I had thought about doing it for an Atari board, but it is pretty tough
to build a ROM adapter on one of the Atari boards (the only way to do
it is piggy back it onto the CPU, then what do you do about the vector
ROMS..)

The G80 is nice and modular, uses a Z80 (which a wrote a LOT of code for
in the late 70's..) and with a little work could be made to play all the
games from a single card cage.

The problem was I had no idea how to deal with the custom parts on the
CPU, which appears to be in the process of being taken care of.

..and there is the issue of rotating the tube for tac/scan