Re: Need help with speech board pinout!

From: Gregg Woodcock <woodcock_at_nortel.ca>
Date: Tue May 20 1997 - 16:54:00 EDT

>Hmm, I've never seen a Speech board with only 4 pins (I've seen 6, and 5 is
>common, too). Are you sure you have a speech board? Should have a 6 pin
>header, with a 8035 or 8039 chip, with 3 EPROMS (one 2715, two 2732).
>
>Either way, with a speech board, the pinouts are as follows:
>
>Speech Board
>------------
> 1 - Empty
> 2 - Empty
> 3 - Empty
> 4 - Audio out
> 5 - Shield
> 6 - input from pin 1 of Battlestar Sound Board
>
>This is assuming you have the boards vertical in the cage, with the parts side
>to your right and solder side to your left, counting from the top down. Shield
>is pretty easy to spot.
>
>Usually the sound boards only have four pins. Are you sure you don't have a
>sound board? FYI, pin 2 and 3 are for audio left and right, apparently for a
>simulated stereo set up (does the StarTrek cockpit have simulated stereo?).

YOu are, of course, correct. I knew the one board was the universal
sound board and assumed that the other was the speech board. I pulled
it out and it is a meatball sound board. In any case, the harness
connector has 6 pins but the PCB connector has only 4. Here is how I
*think* the 2 boards should be connected:

       Meatball sound board Universal sound board
      / /
+-------------------------------------+
| S|P S|p |
| o|a o|a |
| l|r harness l|r |harness
| d|t | d|t | |
| e|s V e|s | V
| r| r| |
| ---- ---Yellow ---- ---Yellow

--
THANX...Gregg   day 214.684.7380  night UNLIST/PUBL   TEXAS NOT CANADA!
        woodcock@nortel.com  or  bn202@cleveland.freenet.edu