RE: Zektor for the masses

From: Clay Cowgill <clay_at_supra.com>
Date: Thu May 22 1997 - 17:40:50 EDT

>So that this posting does have some tech discussion in it, can the folks
>who are more technically adept tell the rest of us if an 8 player
>Eliminator would ever be possible? The code is probably set up for
>"n-players", and we could probably remove the scoring routine code to
>get more space....who looks at score when playing 4 player eliminator?!

*Heh*. Well, from my experience in writing games for smaller systems I'd
bet that they have the player memory array's back to back and index into
them. That makes it a little tricky to add more. (On slower systems you
generally try to avoid "general case" coding to keep as much of the CPU to
yourself as possible.) If it was "general purpose" I bet it was by a .EQU
in the assembly file that built the code.

I haven't tried any game code on the G-80 yet so I can't speak from
experience on the horsepower that the z-80 has, but I'd be a little worried
about having enough CPU time to run the game state machine for a full eight
players. The inputs could be a little daunting too...

Well, if nothing else, the multi-game daughtercard has support for plenty
more game images if anyone manages to make any good modifications to the
existing games... ;-)

(Hmmmm. Now if someone wants to rewrite the code a bit and use the serial
port on the multi-game to run a modem and have two-player Eliminator over
the phone line...)

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com