Re: New vector monitor design.

From: Clay Cowgill <clay_at_supra.com>
Date: Wed May 28 1997 - 12:44:23 EDT

>Lastly, since Zonn has worked out the deflection and HV issues, that just
>leaves how
>we get the RGB data to the guns. I assume we are going to reuse the neck
>board of
>whatever monitor/TV we choose to mangle and just bypass all the NTSC/sync
>circuits. Or am I missing something really important (again)?

I think that's the place to start. By the time the signals are to the
color guns, all the NTSC demodulation and whatnot has taken place, so
you're left with just the raw voltage levels on the neck board driving the
RGB components. Odds are pretty good that you can just take a laserdisc
with the NTSC "colorbars" on it and measure the input levels with a scope.
Then it's just an op-amp to get the levels right. You can generally
overdrive color guns rather a lot without causing any problems (and since
phosphors now-a-days are so much better than they were 15 years ago) which
is probably necessary to get that nice, bright vector look.

Too bad you can't just go down to "Bob's X/Y Yoke Emporium" and buy the
!@#$! deflection yoke... :-)

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com