Re: New vector monitor design.

From: Clay Cowgill <clay_at_supra.com>
Date: Wed May 28 1997 - 12:32:10 EDT

>FWIW Modules are available from consumer electronics repair houses *much*
>cheaper than NTE/ECG. Try Dalbani. The STK0050 and STK0080 usually
>run about $10-$15 each.

Does Dalbani *ever* answer their phone? They kinda pissed me off with
being so hard to talk to. They do seem to have tons of monitor stuff
though...

>Actually, they don't have a built-in sink. Just a metal pad that you
>mount *on*
>a heat sink. These aren't used too much in the stuff I fix lately. They
>went
>back to discrete output devices. Cheaper I suppose.

Hurm. I'll kinda disagree. :-) It's sorta like the TO-220 package--
there's some metal that provides a certain amount of thermal sink, but if
you want to run more/full power you need external heat sinking...

>Lastly, regarding Zonn's proposal...I always thought the yoke was an
>integral
>part of the HVT design of a raster display. If we start changing the yoke
>Z, won't
>that mess things up? I remember John (of John's Jukes) using a loose yoke
>to keep the raster chassis happy in his vector HV hack.

 From what I understand in Rasters, the horizontal retrace "flyback"
(action, not transformer) is responsible for the inductive kick that is
used to power the high voltage. HV is one of those things (in monitors at
least) that you can be pretty loose with and still have it "work".

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com
\/ Communications Division http://www.supra.com/