speech board operation

From: Al Kossow <aek>
Date: Thu May 29 1997 - 13:11:54 EDT

I did a little more playing around with Zektor this morning and
the reason it was halting on startup was that it appears to send
out speech command 8 (you survived..) ?? when the game starts up.
Is this true? It also looks like the protocol for starting a speech
command is to send the command number with the msb 0, wait (which
was what the HALT was for) then remove the 8035 reset by setting
bit 0x80 of the speech control port (which is 0x38).

I was also wondering if there is supposed to be a letter missing
in the message "FOR EXTRA SHI" and if there is a fairly long delay
between the display of game play and this message.

I'll try to get color going today, and get some screen shots on
my web page, as well as getting pictures up of the start of each
wave.

oops, one more thing... is there supposed to be a critter displayed
inside the rotating-thingie-you're-supposed-to-shoot-for-the-extra-ship
(guess it doesn't have a real name) in attract mode?