RE: speech board operation

From: Fish, David <dfish_at_bev.etn.com>
Date: Thu May 29 1997 - 13:30:33 EDT

>>I did a little more playing around with Zektor this morning and
>>the reason it was halting on startup was that it appears to send
>>out speech command 8 (you survived..) ?? when the game starts up.
>>Is this true? It also looks like the protocol for starting a speech
>>command is to send the command number with the msb 0, wait (which
>>was what the HALT was for) then remove the 8035 reset by setting
>>bit 0x80 of the speech control port (which is 0x38).

There should be no speech during start-up. In attract mode you WILL
get the female recruiter saying "Warriors needed to defeat alien
robots".
(Gets annoying after a while.). The phrase "You Survived" is only in the
Space Fury Speech EPROMs. Are you using those in Zektor? I noticed
that using Zektor speech EPROMs in Space Fury caused some
strange pauses in the attract mode.
 The speech commands are just like you described, load the phrase
code then OR in the MSB to start. There's also a 'special' code
(3F??,can't remember) which I never bothered to figure out. I
think it's used to concantonate three phrases but I'm not 100% sure.

>>I was also wondering if there is supposed to be a letter missing
>>in the message "FOR EXTRA SHI" and if there is a fairly long delay
>>between the display of game play and this message.

The P should be there. It comes spinning in just like the others.

>>oops, one more thing... is there supposed to be a critter displayed
>>inside the rotating-thingie-you're-supposed-to-shoot-for-the-extra-ship
>>(guess it doesn't have a real name) in attract mode?

Not in attract mode, only during play.

Dave