Re: Multigame update!

From: Clay Cowgill <clay_at_supra.com>
Date: Mon Jun 02 1997 - 15:58:11 EDT

>Also, how many people would be interested in Clay getting a run of the Single
>Player rotary interface (used for Star Trek, Tac/Scan, Zektor) boards made up?
> They are extremely simple boards, but are hard to find.

Oh, hey, *that* was the other thing I was going to mention... ;-)

(Actually, I'll go into my "controller" discussion now...)

I'm going to make a rotary interface for myself, so if anyone else wants
one, speak up and I'll do another run of PCBs when I produce the multi-game
cards.

The current plan is that I have a little PIC controller that watches and
routes signals for the player controls to the game PCB. I'm not *real*
sure where this lives yet in the system. I think it might make sense to
replace some of the stuff on the CPU board, but I haven't really checked it
out.

The "controller controller" does a few things:

  1) When P1 start and P2 start are pressed simultaneously and held in for >1sec
     NMI is asserted which calls the menu program. (neat, huh? :-)
  2) Remaps P1 and P2 to work for all games.
  3) Remaps Impulse/Fire on StarTrek to match thrust/fire on the rest (yeah,
     it's nit-picky but would bug me to no end if I didn't do it. ;-)
  4) Provides quadrature outputs from SF/Elim rotate buttons. (So the rotate
     buttons on Space Fury and Eliminator can be used instead of the spinner
     knob.)

I think that's it...

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager