RE: Multigame update!

From: Ozdemir, Steve <sso_at_dsc.com>
Date: Mon Jun 02 1997 - 16:58:45 EDT

G'day folks,

>From my days at William's, many games have an "octopus" move (pushing a
large number of buttons and all joysticks at once) enabled only during
attract move to show credit screens, special messages to friends, etc.
(Boy, do game designers love to show off these "secret" things...almost
like someone showing off the latest MK6 move they found.)

Of course, the game designers have the source code, so making something
only available during attract mode is quite easy. My point is, can we
solve the problem of routing to the menu in software instead? Perhaps,
add some code to rewrite the vector for NMI only during attract mode
(and then write it back to the proper value when the game starts)??

Of course, this approach means that you've created a new version of the
software. But you are doing this already to add the menu, eh?

                Steven S Ozdemir
                sso@dsc.com