Re: SP0250 data format

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Thu Jun 12 1997 - 12:47:00 EDT

At 09:32 AM 6/12/97 -0700, you wrote:

>I didn't get any replies on rec.games.video.arcade.collecting, so
>I thought I'd check here. What is the input format for the data
>going into the Orator (LPC10?)

Having never written any code for LPC decoding I speak from a strong history
of inexperience.

That said I have read through the TI data books available in the early '80s
that talked of how to record data for their LPC chips (the Speak & Spell
chip of the time). You basically went to a recording studio, recorded the
statements you wanted spoken, quite a few times, then sent the tape to TI
for processing.

My understanding of LPC is that the algorithms for extracting the filter
information from the spoken phrase are a bit complex, and would need to be
written specifically for the LPC part in question.

Your probably going to need some fairly detailed working knowledge of the
Orator, as well as some strong background in the signal processing of LPC.

I think your best bet to record new sounds for the Orator is to find an GI
insider who worked with the LPC group back in the '80s.

-Zonn