Re: SP0250 data format

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Thu Jun 12 1997 - 12:55:00 EDT

At 09:50 AM 6/12/97 -0800, you wrote:
>>I didn't get any replies on rec.games.video.arcade.collecting, so
>>I thought I'd check here. What is the input format for the data
>>going into the Orator (LPC10?)
>
>I kinda thought it was LPC, but Larry Brantingham (the guy that designed
>all of TI's speech chips-- the TMS5100, 5220CNL, as well as the current
>stuff) seemed to think it was a formant synth. If it's just an LPC-10
>varient and you could figure out what the filter order is you could
>possibly convert the data to the TMS5220CNL. Much easier to find. :-)

The SP0256 was GI's formant synth version of the chip. They simply took the
SP0250 added an internal ROM of LPC recorded formant phrases for 56(?)
different parts of speech. Then instead of accessing full phrases, you
accessed formants and strung them together to create phrases.

The SP0256 was the chip Radio Shack sold for a while back in the '80s.

Maybe this is what Larry was referring to.

-Zonn