Re: cine sound board

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Mon Jun 23 1997 - 13:50:00 EDT

At 12:39 PM 6/23/97 -0500, you wrote:
>> Thanks Kurt for a very nice copy of the Warrior manual!
>>
>> (He didn't even charge for postage, there must be a catch somewhere? ;^)
>>
>> -Zonn
>>

> I'll add my kudos to Kurt, as well.....Thanks a bunch, and let me know if
you ever need anything that I've got!

> While we're on the Cine. Sound board topic, the "Wideband Noise Generator"
used in Warrior looks to be the same one used in Sundance, so add that to
the list of Cine. Sound boards that use the noisy semiconductors. What do
we have so far? Space Wars, Sundance, Warrior and possibly TailGunner.
What about the other Vectorbeam stuff? Anyone have Star Hawk and/or Spead
Freak manuals around?

I have both, and I'll verify what I can from the manual (such as they are)
but I'm pretty sure they both use the semi-conductor approach.

> Which of the diodes is the actual "Noisy Semiconductor?" I haven't looked
at this too closely yet (I'm putting the finishing touches on the Star
Castle sounds) but the "Wideband Noise Generator" is an Op-Amp and a couple
of diodes.

It's the zener diode (5.1v I think). They take that into the input of the
op-amp amplifiers/filters. The back to back diodes just clip peaks to a
usable level.

> Like I said, I'm putting the finishing touches on the Star Castle sounds.
I talked to one of our seasoned DSP programmers here, and he told me that he
thought that I'd have plenty of MIPS for what I needed to do (A noise
generator, a couple of VCOs and a couple of Low-Pass filters,) so it looks
like I found the hardware that I needed!

Very cool!