Re: Speech board idea...

From: Joseph J. Welser <jwelser_at_crystal.cirrus.com>
Date: Thu Jun 26 1997 - 10:55:07 EDT

> After the 4th of July weekend I should be able to get back to my hobbies.
> One of the things at the top of the list is to write an Assembler for the
> Cinematronics CPU. It would make writing test code much easier. Not to
> mention a menu system for multi-game systems, hacks for current games, and
> maybe even a new game if someone were so inclined?
>
> -Zonn

        Yes! That assembler is much needed!

        While I was actually working on diagnostic ROMS (I've kinda scrapped/put that one on the back burner) I knew I needed an assembler. I was just going to hack something together in PERL....

        If you are going to work on diagnostic/test code, I have a pretty much complete Verilog model of the CCPU if that will help. I will finish it up if needed (the only part that is incomplete is the "PROM" page of the schematics, which contains many labels that are damn near impossible to read on my copies of the schematics.) I also have the necessary "supporting" PERL scripts (i.e. to convert a BIN/HEX file of the ROMs/PROMs to Verilog memory format, etc.) I made the Verilog model because I was going to come up with my test vectors/ROMs and then run the whole CPU, with its test vectors through Verifault and see what kind of fault coverage I could get. Maybe that was just academic, but it kinda seemed like a cool idea.

        Once that is finished, I can run it through Synopsys and map to FPGAs, so we can have CCPUs on a chip! Heck, forget about multi-game sound boards, I can make entire game boards with only about a half dozen chips! (Yes, I know that the CCPU on an FPGA is by no means an original idea....)

Joe