Re: Speech board idea...

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Wed Jun 25 1997 - 21:15:00 EDT

At 06:01 PM 6/25/97 -0800, you wrote:
>>If you already have a speech board, why duplicated it? (Unless you're trying
>>for the multi-purpose sound/speech/ROM card thingy) Just add bank switching
>>to it. Install larger EPROMs and bank switch using the extra lines, much
>>like the ESB/SW banking.
>
>Three main reasons for me:
>
>1) single-source obsolete parts make me nervous. (SPO-250)

I agree, but you'd better start re-designing the monitor since it has a
*few* single source obsolete parts that make *me* nervous! They're
definitely more likely to die.

>2) tough to record your own sounds for the speech board without having an
>SPO-250 development system
>3) Would be nice to have one (more) free slot on the backplane if we never
>get a DSP based "all in one" sound card done so you can have all sound
>cards installed at once. (and switch the analog outputs of each with a
>mux)

All good reasons, but I think Al's original point was ease of design, which
is directly related to completion time.

You can start this evening wiring up some banked EPROMs on an existing
speech board and have it done by the time you go to bed (there's something
to be said for that) ...and not to be too cynical, but I'll wait for the
"all in one" DSP card's availability before I worry about freeing up a slot.
;^) ;^)

-Zonn