Re: Speech board idea...

From: Clay Cowgill <clay_at_supra.com>
Date: Wed Jun 25 1997 - 22:01:52 EDT

>If you already have a speech board, why duplicated it? (Unless you're trying
>for the multi-purpose sound/speech/ROM card thingy) Just add bank switching
>to it. Install larger EPROMs and bank switch using the extra lines, much
>like the ESB/SW banking.

Three main reasons for me:

1) single-source obsolete parts make me nervous. (SPO-250)
2) tough to record your own sounds for the speech board without having an
SPO-250 development system
3) Would be nice to have one (more) free slot on the backplane if we never
get a DSP based "all in one" sound card done so you can have all sound
cards installed at once. (and switch the analog outputs of each with a
mux)

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com