RE: Stumped by my WG 6101

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Fri Jun 27 1997 - 14:29:00 EDT

At 02:01 PM 6/27/97 -0400, you wrote:
>[most of Zonn's hack #1 deleted]
>
>>> This gives you a monitor that runs cooler, has a faster slew,
>>> *much* more reliable, nice clean vectors.
>
>My ears pricked up at the suggestion that this fix not only improves
>reliability but INCREASES THE SLEW RATE of the W-G color XY. Makes me
>wonder if this modification would cure the "stray vector" problem that
>crops up with the Sega-to-Atari XY adapter I designed. Sure would be
>nice....

No, sorry this doesn't increase the slew that much!

Sega uses +/- 50 volts as their power supply. You could do the same on the
WG, but you'd have to replace all the capacitors with higher rated ones, and
you'd probably burn out the pass transistors (unless you place a massive fan
on them like Sega does!). You can deal with the pass trasistor problem by
placing two transistors in parallel. I haven't looked into the circuit
enough to know whether the WG amplifier would have enough voltage gain,
though I believe it would.

Since the HV (and neck board) would be running on their own supply, you
wouldn't have to worry about them.

Sega also uses the same yoke as the WG, almost. If you count the windings
(and I did) you'll see that Sega has 18 winds per coil as opposed to WG's
23. (I think these numbers are right, it's been awhile). With the higher
voltages/current and the reduce impedances of the yoke, it's a wonder the
Sega monitor works at all. An occasional fire seems to have been built into
the design.

-Zonn