Re: Stumped by my WG 6101

From: Anders Knudsen <Anders_Knudsen_at_btc.adaptec.com>
Date: Fri Jun 27 1997 - 15:46:26 EDT

> <snipped a bunch>
>Fix #2:
>Beef up the low voltage "capacitance multiplier" to be a real regulator.
> <chopped then end>

Hmmm. Interesting to see that someone else has also done the "replace the
lv" trick. Last year I built a replacement for the lvpc of the WG. I used
an lm317t and lm337t adjustable + and - regulators. Put pots on the pcb so
I could adjust the output. I don't remember the range I designed in, but
something like 22 to 30 vdc. Put protection diodes on the regulators so
they wouldn't blow. Added small tant filter caps to increase the ripple
rejection. And of course you gotta put lights to make it look cool, so I
put leds for each side, + and -. I build around 8 of them, and made them
tiny (around 2x3 inches). The pcb fits right over where the old lv
components are (just tore them all out) and solders right on the the
deflection pcb, like a piggy back. I had the pcbs prototyped on a t-tech
pcb cnc machine...pretty cool prototyper! I drew the schematics and did the
pcb layout using Protel for windoze. I have had them running, and needless
to say, not a problem with the lv side of things. Like Zonn said, I too am
not sure if mass repro'ing these is worth it or not. I think I would rather
redesign the whole damn deflection pcb and get the robustness I need that
way. I would be nice to turn that monitor on, and never have to worry about
fixing it again!

-Anders.